We want to take this time to reintroduce our Founders to our OG and new #smashtessfam! If you didn’t already know, Smash + Tess is founded by a mother-daughter-bestie team with the goal to make clothing (aka Rompers) that look, and most importantly feel great, on everybody and every body! Smash + Tess aims to uplift our #smashtessfam all while building an incredible community.
Ash, Mer and Tess thought it would be great to share 5 fun facts you may not know about them! They’d also love to hear a fun fact about you! Make sure to share in the comments below, or on our latest instagram posts featuring our founders!
Ashley Freeborn - Smash
- My family nicknamed me “Smash” growing up because as much as I loved clothes, I also loved to keep up with my brother on the dirt bike and snowboard, and also played competitive softball. So “Smash” was an affectionate way of referring to my more rough and tumble side!
- I immigrated with my husband three years ago to Los Angeles for a job, but when S+T started to get busier, I left to go all in on S+T… but we are still south of the border!
- I love listening to 90s hip hop in my car as loud as possible, when at all possible.
- Friends have to send me Bicks Dill Pickles, Crispers and Wine Gums from Canada because I miss it all so much!
- I spent the better part of a decade as a high school theatre teacher, producing large scale musicals from Footloose to Shrek the Musical and beyond!
Mercedes Laporte - +
- I'm 1/2 German and 1/2 Filipino (most people ask what nationality I am)
- I did my first ballet class at the age of2 and can still ROCK a high kick!
- I love a good vintage furniture find, love finding new unique pieces!
- I've been with my husband since I was 19 and we have 3 beautiful boys!
- I am pretty much allergic to everything, but onions are OFFENSIVE to me lol
Teresa Freeborn – Tess
- While growing up in Tsawwassen (T-town) I took swimming lessons in the summer at Centennial Beach – in the tidal pools. We were at the whim of the tide, which means the lesson time changed a bit every time we had a lesson.
- Fashion production runs deep in my bones…I own a serger(does anyone even know what that is?) I used to sew my own clothing and home décor items. I fantasize about having my own cushion line….on my bucket list.
- When I was 15, I worked at the Tsawwassen Drive-In on 56th Street (locally known as Greasy Jack’s). Started by waitressing but then was soon a short-order cook. If you ever ordered a Tsawwassen Burger, BLT, or cake donut – chances are pretty good that I made it for you!
- When I was 16, we used to drive across the border to Bellingham, Washington to buy Seafarer jeans at the Army/Navy surplus store. High waisted, wide leg, accessorized with the navy issue web belt. Loved. I wish I would have kept them!
- The golf course is my happy place – no problem beating most of the guys I play with. Talk birdie to me.
Remember to share your 5 fun facts in the comments below, or on our latest instagram posts featuring our founders!